Welcome to my Home Page
Ph.D in Electrical Engineering
Professor of Electronics
IEEE Fellow (2015)
Office: (+39) 059 2056165
Mobile: (+39) 320 4365969
- 1 Messages for students
- 2 Research Interests and Activities
- 3 Topics for Bachelor, Master and PhD Thesis
- 4 Research Projects
- 5 Italian University Nano-Electronics Team (IU.net Consortium)
- 6 UE documents on nano-electronics, visions of the future, scientific research and governance
- 7 Publications
- 8 Current teaching duties
- 9 Past teaching duties at University of Udine and University of Bologna
- 10 Miscellanea
Messages for students
- 2022.11.18 Venerdì 18 Novembre 2022, ore 11.00-12.30c/o edificio MO 25, Aula P1.1, il Dr.Ing. Roberto Bez Senior Director of the NVM Strategic Technology della ditta Micron, (leader mondiale nel campo delle memorie a semiconduttore), terrà un seminario dal titolo “Innovations for boosting semiconductor memories in the Big Data era”. Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.
- 2022.12.16 Venerdì 16 Dicembre 2022, ore 11.00-12.30c/o edificio MO 25, Aula P1.1, il Prof. Danilo Demarchi del Politecnico di Torino terrà un seminario dal titolo “From micro-sensors to smart systems: advanced electronics research supporting disruptive innovation for the health and the agri-food applications ”. Tutti gli interessati sono invitati a partecipare.
- 2022.09.18 The reference platform for my 2022-2023 classes (Electron Devices and Components, Elettronica Digitale, Nanoelectronics and Bioelectronics) is Teams. Classes have been activated and all regularly registered students should be able to access them.
Research Interests and Activities
- Modelling and simulation of nanoelectronic ion- and bio-sensors
- High frequency impedance spectroscopy for reliable biosensing of nanoscale analytes
- Nanometer size MOSFETs in alternative semiconductor channel materials
- Modelling and simulation of nanoelectronic switches for energy efficient ultra-low power electronics
- Carrier transport in Ultra thin body SOI devices
- Hot carrier effects characterization and modelling
- Flash EEPROM operation and reliability
- Hot carrier induced luminescence in Silicon devices
- Impact ionization in Silicon Bipolar transistors
- Design of high frequency circuits for telecom applications in bulk and FinFET technologies
Topics for Bachelor, Master and PhD Thesis
- Nanosecond timescale self-heating effects in advanced FinFET and FDSOI nanoscale MOSFETs (MSc, PhD - in collaboration with NXP Semiconductors)
- Virus detection with nanobiosensor arrays and ML/AI algorithms (including stage at Silicon Austria Labs - https://silicon-austria-labs.com/) (MSc)
- Design and Optimization of vertical nanowire devices for neurophysiological studies and epilepsy treatment (MSc, PhD - in collaboration with the EU H2020 IN-FET project)
- Modelling Simulation and Design of Iontronic Devices for Ionic Neurostimulation (MSc, PhD - in collaboration with the EU H2020 IN-FET project)
- [DNA memory for ultimately low-power and massive storage] (BSc, MSc)
- [Anaysis of interdigitated capacitor sensors for particle detection] (BSc, MSc)
- [New scientific software tools for educational purposes] (BSc, MSc)
- [Readout circuits for impedance spectroscopy sensors] (BSc, MSc)
- [Solid state batteries for future electronics] (BSc, MSc)
- [Approximate computing methods and circuits] (BSc, MSc)
- [Energy metrics for new computing paradigms] (BSc, MSc)
- [Sustainable, compostable, edible electronics] (BSc, MSc)
- [In-memory and In-sensor computing] (BSc)
I am currently participating to the following research projects (last updated December 2020):
- European H2020 project IN-FET - Ionic Neuromodulation For Epilepsy Treatment (2020-2023) www.in-fet.eu, italian participation coordinated by the UniMORE unit of the IUNET consortium.
- European H2020 project BEFERROSYNAPTIC - BEOL Technology Platform Based on Ferroelectric Synaptic Devices for Advanced Neuromorphic Processors (2020-2022) www.beferrosynaptic.eu, italian participation coordinated by the Udine unit of the IUNET consortium.
- European ECSEL project GAN4AP - GaN for Advanced Power Applications (2021-2024) project website, participation via the IUNET consortium.
- European ECSEL project ARROWHEAD TOOLS - Arrowhead Tools for Engineering of Digitalisation Solutions (2019-2021) www.arrowhead.eu, participation via the IUNET consortium.
- Italian MIUR PON project ADAS+ - Sviluppo di Tecnologie e Sistemi Avanzati per la Sicurezza dell'Auto Mediante Piattaforme ADAS (2018-2020) italian participation coordinated by the Modena unit of the IUNET Consortium.
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2017 - Empowering GaN-on-SiC and GaN-on-Si technologies for the next challenging millimeter-wave applications (GANAPP) (2020-2023) coordinated by the Padova unit.
Over the years I held technical and coordination roles and responsibilities in the following research projects (last updated April 2021):
- European Flag-ERA HESN project CONVERGENCE - Frictionless Energy Efficient Convergent Wearables For Healthcare And Lifestyle Applications www.convergence-era.org (2017-2021), coordinator of the Italian cluster.
- European FP7 Strep project E2SWITCH - Energy Efficient Tunnel FET Switches and Circuits www.e2switch.org (2013-2017).
- European FP7 Strep project III-V-MOS - Technology CAD for III-V Semiconductor-based MOSFETs www.iii-v-mos-project.eu (2013-2017) coordinated by the Udine unit of the IUNET consortium.
- European Working Group ULIS - Ultimate Integration on Silicon (5FP, 1999-2000)
- European Strep Project NESTOR - New Double Gate Transistors (5FP, 2002-2004)
- European Coordination action EUROSOI - Silicon on Insulator Technology Devices and Circuits www.eurosoi.org (6FP, 2004-2006)
- European Network of Excellence SINANO - Silicon Based Nanoelectronics www.sinano.eu (6FP, 2004-2007, IST-506844).
- European Integrated Project PULL-NANO - PULLing the limits of NANO-CMOS electronics (6FP, 2006-2008)
- European Network of Excellence NANOSIL - SIlicon-based NAnostructures and naNOdevices www.nanosil-noe.eu (7FP, 2008-2011).
- European Coordination Action GUARDIAN ANGELS - Guardian Angels for a Smarter Planet www.ga-project.eu (2011-2012).
- European ENIAC-JTI project MODERN - Modelling and Design of Reliable process-variation-aware Nanoelectronic devices, circuits and systems www.eniac-modern.org (2009-2012).
- European Network of Excellent NANOFUNCTION - Beyond CMOS Nanodevices for Adding Functionalities to CMOS www.nanofunction.eu (7FP, 2010-2013).
- European Strep project STEEPER - Steep Subthreshold Slope Switches for Energy Efficient Electronics www.steeper-project.eu (7FP, 2010-2013).
- European Strep Project GRAND - Graphene-based Nanoelectronic Devices www.grand-project.eu (7FP, 2008-2010).
- European Integrated Project GOSSAMER - Gigascale Oriented Solid State flAsh Memory for EuRope www.fp7-gossamer.eu (7FP, 2008-2010).
- European FP7 Strep project GRADE - Graphene-based Devices and Circuits for RF Applications www.grade-project.eu (2012-2016).
- Italian MIUR project FIRB 2001 - RBNE012N3X - Sistemi miniaturizzati per l'elettronica e la fotonica
- Italian MIUR project FIRB 2006 - RBIP06YSJJ - Tecnologie innovative per lo sviluppo di memorie non volatili ad alta densità
- Italian MIUR project FIRB Futuro in Ricerca - RBFR10XQZ8 - Novel device and circuit concepts for energy-efficient electronics
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2000 - Permeable gate CMOS circuits: are they feasible ?
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2002 - Sub 0.1 micron Bulk and SOI CMOS Technologies for High Performance and Low Power Applications
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2004 - Innovative Architectures and Models for nanoMOSFETs
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2006 - Conventional (bulk) versus emerging nanoscale CMOS technologies: a comparative evaluation from the device to the system level
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2008 - Modelling and simulation of graphene nanoribbon FETs for high-performance and low-power logic applications (GRANFET)
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2015 - Rivelatori di raggi X in semiconduttori ad alto numero atomico per sorgenti di nuova generazione e imaging medicale (2016-2019) coordinated by the Udine unit.
- Research contract with Infineon Technologies Villach on High Speed Serial Interfaces (HSSI)
- Research contract with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company - TSMC
- Research contract with Philips research Eindohoven
- Research contract with Philips research Leuven
- Research contract with NXP Leuven
- Research contract with Infineon Technologies Munich
- Research contract with Infineon Technologies Villach
Italian University Nano-Electronics Team (IU.net Consortium)
IU.net is a consortium of twelve research groups located in eleven Italian Universities and devoted to advanced research in the field of nano-electronics.
More information can be found on the IUNET Consortium webpage
UE documents on nano-electronics, visions of the future, scientific research and governance
- Draft Strategic Research Agenda for Electronic Components and Systems 2021
- Electronic Components and Systems Strategic Research Agenda 2019
- Nanoelectronics for Europe Roadmap, NEREID 2019
- Science, Research and Innovation Performance in the EU 2018
- Batteries for Europe 2020
- Photonics 2021
- Late lessons from early warnings, European Environment Agency Report vol.1 and 2
Current teaching duties
- Electron Devices and Components (Master degree in Electronics Engineering, English taugh, 7 CFU out of 9 total)
- NanoElectronics and Bioelectronics (Master degree in Electronics Engineering, English taugh, 2 CFU out of 6 total)
- Micro and NanoElectronics (Master degree in Electronics Engineering, English taugh, currently not active - exams only)
- Elettronica Analogica e Digitale con Laboratorio (Laurea Triennale Interateneo in Ingegneria dei Sistemi Medicali per la Persona presso Università di Verona, 6 CFU out of 12 total)
Past teaching duties at University of Udine and University of Bologna
- Ai nati prima del 1970 (e per conoscenza a quelli nati dopo)
- Chi non capisce si vendica (Editoriale di Enrico Bellone, Le Scienze, n.484, dic.2008)
- Come se Dio ci fosse (M.Viroli, Einaudi)
- Perché ho il diritto di scegliere la mia morte (U.Eco, Repubblica)
- Discorso sull'educazione (B.Obama, Wakefield High School, Arlington, Virginia, September 8, 2009)
- Da immigrante in questo paese (A.Schwarzenegger, On-line, January 10, 2021)
- A difesa della scuola nazionale (P.Calamandrei, III Congresso ADSN, Roma, 11 febbraio 1950)
- Apologo sull’onestà nel paese dei corrotti (I.Calvino, La Repubblica, 15 marzo 1980)
- L'Italia non esiste (F.Rondolino, Mondadori)
- Non ditemi ... (D.Serracchiani, 2016)
- Introduction to "Late lessons from early warnings" (J.McGlade, 2013)
- Solidao (P.Mercier, Mondadori)
- Qoèlet (11, 1-4, 6)
- La nera schiena del tempo (Javier Marías, Einaudi)