Welcome to my Home Page
Ph.D in Electrical Engineering
Professor of Electronics
IEEE Fellow (2015)
Office: (+39) 059 2056165
Mobile: (+39) 320 4365969
MY ORCID CODE
- 1 Research Interests and Activities
- 2 Topics for Bachelor, Master and PhD Thesis
- 3 Research Projects
- 4 Italian University Nano-Electronics Team (IU.net Consortium)
- 5 UE documents on nano-electronics, visions of the future and scientific research
- 6 Publications
- 7 Current teaching duties
- 8 Past teaching duties at University of Udine and University of Bologna
- 9 Miscellanea
Research Interests and Activities
- Modeling and simulation of nanoelectronic ion- and bio-sensors
- Nanometer size MOSFETs in augmented silicon and III-V compound semiconductor channel materials
- Modeling and simulation of nanoelectronic switches for energy efficient ultra-low power electronics
- Carrier transport in Ultra thin body SOI devices
- Hot carrier effects characterization and modeling
- Flash EEPROM operation and reliability
- Hot carrier induced luminescence in Silicon devices
- Impact ionization in Silicon Bipolar transistors
- Design of high frequency circuits for telecom applications in bulk and FinFET technologies
Topics for Bachelor, Master and PhD Thesis
- [Advanced electron devices for energy efficient electronics]
- [New scientific software tools for educational purposes]
- [Readout circuits for impedance spectroscopy sensors]
- [Approximate computing methods and circuits]
- [In-memory and In-sensor computing]
I am currently participating to the following research projects (last updated December 2019):
- European Flag-ERA HESN project CONVERGENCE - Frictionless Energy Efficient Convergent Wearables For Healthcare And Lifestyle Applications (2017-2020), italian participation coordinated by the Udine unit of the IUNET consortium.
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2015 - Rivelatori di raggi X in semiconduttori ad alto numero atomico per sorgenti di nuova generazione e imaging medicale (2016-2019) coordinated by the Udine unit.
Over the years I held technical and coordination roles and responsibilities in the following research projects (last updated December 2019):
- Research contract with Infineon Technologies Villach on High Speed Serial Interfaces (HSSI)
- European FP7 Strep project E2SWITCH - Energy Efficient Tunnel FET Switches and Circuits www.e2switch.org/ (2013-2017).
- European FP7 Strep project III-V-MOS - Technology CAD for III-V Semiconductor-based MOSFETs www.iii-v-mos-project.eu (2013-2017) coordinated by the Udine unit of the IUNET consortium.
- European Working Group ULIS - Ultimate Integration on Silicon (5FP, 1999-2000)
- European Strep Project NESTOR - New Double Gate Transistors (5FP, 2002-2004)
- European Coordination action EUROSOI - Silicon on Insulator Technology Devices and Circuits www.eurosoi.org (6FP, 2004-2006)
- European Network of Excellence SINANO - Silicon Based Nanoelectronics www.sinano.eu (6FP, 2004-2007, IST-506844). Watch the presentation movie.
- European Integrated Project PULL-NANO - PULLing the limits of NANO-CMOS electronics (6FP, 2006-2008)
- European Network of Excellence NANOSIL - SIlicon-based NAnostructures and naNOdevices www.nanosil-noe.eu (7FP, 2008-2011).
- European Coordination Action GUARDIAN ANGELS - Guardian Angels for a Smarter Planet www.ga-project.eu (2011-2012).
- European ENIAC-JTI project MODERN - Modeling and Design of Reliable process-variation-aware Nanoelectronic devices, circuits and systems www.eniac-modern.org (2009-2012).
- European Network of Excellent NANOFUNCTION - Beyond CMOS Nanodevices for Adding Functionalities to CMOS www.nanofunction.eu (7FP, 2010-2013).
- European Strep project STEEPER - Steep Subthreshold Slope Switches for Energy Efficient Electronics www.steeper-project.eu (7FP, 2010-2013).
- European Strep Project GRAND - Graphene-based Nanoelectronic Devices www.grand-project.eu (7FP, 2008-2010).
- European Integrated Project GOSSAMER - Gigascale Oriented Solid State flAsh Memory for EuRope www.fp7-gossamer.eu (7FP, 2008-2010).
- European FP7 Strep project GRADE - Graphene-based Devices and Circuits for RF Applications www.grade-project.eu (2012-2016).
- Italian MIUR project FIRB 2001 - RBNE012N3X - Sistemi miniaturizzati per l'elettronica e la fotonica
- Italian MIUR project FIRB 2006 - RBIP06YSJJ - Tecnologie innovative per lo sviluppo di memorie non volatili ad alta densità
- Italian MIUR project FIRB Futuro in Ricerca - RBFR10XQZ8 - Novel device and circuit concepts for energy-efficient electronics
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2000 - Permeable gate CMOS circuits: are they feasible ?
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2002 - Sub 0.1 micron Bulk and SOI CMOS Technologies for High Performance and Low Power Applications
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2004 - Innovative Architectures and Models for nanoMOSFETs
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2006 - Conventional (bulk) versus emerging nanoscale CMOS technologies: a comparative evaluation from the device to the system level
- Italian MIUR project PRIN 2008 - Modeling and simulation of graphene nanoribbon FETs for high-performance and low-power logic applications (GRANFET)
- Research contract with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company - TSMC
- Research contract with Philips research Eindohoven
- Research contract with Philips research Leuven
- Research contract with NXP Leuven
- Research contract with Infineon Technologies Munich
- Research contract with Infineon Technologies Villach
Italian University Nano-Electronics Team (IU.net Consortium)
IU.net is a consortium of eleven research groups located in eleven Italian Universities and devoted to advanced research in the field of nano-electronics.
More information can be found on the IUNET Consortium webpage
UE documents on nano-electronics, visions of the future and scientific research
Current teaching duties
Past teaching duties at University of Udine and University of Bologna
- Ai nati prima del 1970 (e per conoscenza a quelli nati dopo)
- Chi non capisce si vendica (Editoriale di Enrico Bellone, Le Scienze, n.484, dic.2008)
- Come se Dio ci fosse (M.Viroli, Einaudi)
- Perché ho il diritto di scegliere la mia morte (U.Eco, Repubblica)
- Discorso sull'educazione (B.Obama, Wakefield High School, Arlington, Virginia, September 8, 2009)
- A difesa della scuola nazionale (P.Calamandrei, III Congresso ADSN, Roma, 11 febbraio 1950)
- Apologo sull’onestà nel paese dei corrotti (I.Calvino, La Repubblica, 15 marzo 1980)
- L'Italia non esiste (F.Rondolino, Mondadori)
- Solidao (P.Mercier, Mondadori)